You are travelling in South East-Asia, walking down busy streets everywhere around you is food. Someone is frying chicken over a make shift grill, besides him a push trolley cart serves giblets from different animals. A steaming pot of noodles fires up the senses and you could swear you have just found heaven.
One of the great things about travelling in this part of the world is the abundance of delicious street food. It’s everywhere and it’s all for sale.
The streets have endless food options which can give you a culinary insight into the culture of the place you’re visiting. Street food can be found everywhere and most of it is served for locals and it’s cheap. So if you’re travelling on a shoestring, then street food is the way to go. Here are some of the best street food destinations we have found.
There is a thriving historically rich culture in Hanoi and it is sizzling with great food. Mouth-watering dishes are found on the sidewalks of Hanoi, and are a representation of the abundance of food in Vietnam. You can expect a range of Vietnamese dishes such as:
- Bun cha: Grilled pork served with a special sauce, eaten with rice vermicelli noodles and fresh herbs along with spring rolls.
- Pho: Pho is a Vietnamese delicacy. A noodle soup served with either chicken or beef will certainly get your taste buds going.
- Banh cuon: Is similar to a rice paper roll. Filled with minced pork, mushrooms and served with a dipping sauce.
Various places in Singapore all burst out with different street food options. It is best to go out and explore the area yourself; you will find many delicacies including sweets wherever you go. So go crazy, and just like Hansel and Gretel leave breadcrumbs so you know your way back. In Singapore some street dishes you can expect include:
- Chili crab: One of the most famous Singaporean dishes is Chili Crab. Found everywhere and anywhere in Singapore it is a must-eat-dish while you are there.
- Murtabak: This is a layered bread that has been fried, it includes minced mutton, garlic, onion and egg.
Hainanese chicken rice: If you order this dish you will have the most tender chicken you will ever taste. Served on top of rice and with a chicken broth this will be forever a favourite.
Chinatown, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Being of one the famous countries for its street food, Chinatown has a lot to offer in terms of delicious flavours. Kuala Lumpur is definitely one country you need to get lost in. You will find great food stalls hidden everywhere in the city. Some of their offerings are:
- Hokkein Mee: Is a great sticky and thick noodle dish served with a lot of fried pork.
- Roast duck: As simple as it sounds the roast duck in Chinatown will blow you away with the crispy skins and succulent taste of the flesh.
- Portuguese grilled fish: Warmly wrapped in aluminum foil the fish is covered in chili paste and is grilled.
There are plenty of dishes to try when you’re cruising along the streets of Kuala Lumpur so now is the time to be adventurous and give something new a try.